Current AIM Bibliography
NEW TESTAMENT SURVEY
* Learn locations for 100 useful N.T. passages
1. Merrill Tenney, New Testament Survey (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1985), ISBN 0-8028-3611-9
Robert Gundry, A Survey of the New Testament.
2. The entire N.T., in a version that is not your preferred translation.
3. Jacoby, A Quick Overview of the Bible (Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House, 2012). Also available as an e-book (Kindle).
Craig Blomberg, The Historical Reliability of the Gospels (ISBN 0-87784-992- 7)—7 points
F.F. Bruce, The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? or The Books and the Parchments. — 3 points
Helmut Thielicke, A little exercise for young theologians (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1980, ISBN: 0802811981)—3 points
NEW TESTAMENT INTERPRETATION
1. Gordon Fee & Douglas Stuart, How To Read the Bible for All Its Worth, 3rd ed. (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1993)—only the sections pertaining to the New Testament
2. Gordon Fee & Douglas Stuart, How to Read the Bible Book by Book (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2002), SKIM the half dealing with the New Testament)
3. D. A. Carson, Exegetical Fallacies (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1996)—only for those who have previously studied Greek (at least one year at the university level).
Carson, Exegetical Fallacies (for all others)—5 points
Daniel Doriani, Getting the Message—5 points
Douglas Jacoby, James, Peter, John, Jude (IPI, 2006)—4 points _____, Revelation & the End of the World (2006, audio)—3 points
_____, Back from the Edge: A Study of Hebrews (2011, audio) — points _____, Anchored for Life (2006, audio)—3 points
G. Steve Kinnard, Getting the Most from the Bible (Woburn: DPI, 2000)—3 points
CHURCH BUILDING SERIES 1 (formerly A)
1. Jim Collins, Good to Great (New York: HarperCollins, 2002)
Rainer, Thom S., Breakout Churches (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2005). — 4 points
Ken Hemphill, The Antioch Effect: 8 Characteristics of Highly Effective Churches (Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 1999) — 3 points
HOMILETICS: PREACHING & TEACHING
1. Haddon W. Robinson, Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, Second Edition, 2001, ISBN: 0801022622)
2. Brandon Kelkey and Joe Hoagland, Preaching Sticky Sermons (Rainer Publishing, 2016)
Extra Credit: (3 pts each):
1. John Piper, The Supremacy of God in Preaching (Baker Books, 1990, ISBN: 0801071127)
2. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Preaching & Preachers (Trafalgar Square, 2000, ISBN: 0340206624)
3. John Stott, Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1994, ISBN: 0802806279)–alternate subtitle: The Art of Preaching in the Twentieth Century
4. Robert Stephen Reid and Lucy Hind Hogan, The Six Deadly Sins of Preaching (Nashville: Abingdon, 2012).
5. John Piper, Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry (Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2002, ISBN: 0805426205)
6. Graeme Goldsworthy, Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2000)
7. R. S. Reid and L. L. Hogan, The Six Deadly Sins of Preaching (Nashville: Abingdon, 2012)
CHURCH-BUILDING 2 (formerly B): MISSIONARY FAITH
Michael Green, Evangelism in the Early Church (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1970, ASIN: 0802816126)
THE HOLY SPIRIT
* Learn the locations for 52 useful passages about the Holy Spirit
* Visit: Neo-Pentecostal church
1. Douglas Jacoby, The Spirit (IPI, 1998, 2005, 2010)
2. John MacArthur’s Charismatic Chaos + Vineyard Position Paper #5 (Response to MacArthur)
Hank Hanegraaff’s Counterfeit Revival: Looking for God in All the Wrong Places (Dallas: Word, 1997)
1. Both MacArthur (with Vineyard response) and Hanagraaff—5 points
2. B.B. Warfield, Counterfeit Miracles—5 points
3. Francis Chan, Forgotten God: The Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit—3 points
1. Douglas Jacoby, Compelling Evidence for God & the Bible (Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House, 2010). Also available as an e-book (Kindle).
2. Alister McGrath, Intellectuals Don’t Need God (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1993), ISBN 0-310-59091-4 and 978-0-310-59091-0
Philip Yancey, The Jesus I Never Knew, or Reaching for the Invisible God OR
Gregory Koukl, Tactics (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2009), ISBN 978-0-310- 28292-1.
1. Douglas Jacoby, From Facts to Faith I, II, and III (all CD sets must be the 2011 version) — 6 points
2. Francis S. Collins, The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief (ISBN 9-780743-286398)—5 points
3. Randall Price, The Stones Cry Out (Eugene: Harvest House, 1997)—5 points 4. C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity—5 points
5. N. T. Wright, Simply Christian—5 points.
5. Douglas Jacoby, Science & Faith: Enemies or Allies? (DVD, 2013) — 3 points
6. Other evidences books—3 points each: Neil Lightfoot, How We Got the Bible; Alan Hayward, Creation and Evolution; Ravi Zacharias, A Shattered Visage, Can Man Live Without God?, or Deliver Us from Evil; C. S. Lewis, Miracles; Kreeft & Tacelli, Handbook of Christian Apologetics;Frank Morison, Who Moved the Stone?; E. Abbott, Flatland, Michael Denton, Evolution: A Theory in Crisis; Michael Denton, Nature’s Destiny; John P. Koster, The Atheist Syndrome. If you would like to substitute another title, this will require advance approval from your instructor.
CHURCH BUILDING SERIES 3 (formerly C)
1. Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Church: Growth Without Compromising Your Message & Mission (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1995)
2. Gordon Ferguson and Wyndham Shaw, Golden Rule Leadership (DPI, 2001)
3. Douglas Jacoby, 1-2 Timothy & Titus: Culture—Conformity or Compromise (2007, audio)—3 points
4. Larry Osborne, Sticky Church (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2008).
1. J. Oswald Sanders, Spiritual Leadership: A Commitment to Excellence for Every Believer (Moody 2007), ISBN: 0802482279, ISBN-13: 9780802482273.
2. Sam Laing, Mighty Man of God: A Return to the Glory of Manhood (DPI, 1999)
OR_____, Be Still, My Soul: A Practical Guide to a Deeper Relationship with God (DPI, 1998)
3. Thomas Jones and Mike Fontenot, The Prideful Soul’s Guide to Humility (DPI, 1998)
Extra Credit: 3 points each
1. R. Kent Hughes, Set Apart: Calling a Worldly Church to a Godly Life (Wheaton: Crossway, 2003), 978-1-58134-491-2.
2. Gordon MacDonald, Ordering Your Private World (Nashville: Oliver Nelson, 1985).
3. Richard Taylor, The Disciplined Life: The Mark of Maturity (Grand Rapids: Baker House, 2002)
4. John Eldredge, Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man’s Soul (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2001)
5. Thomas Jones, Ed., A Man in All Seasons: A Handbook for Faithful Living, Volumes 1-2 (DPI, 2001)—6 pts
CHURCH-BUILDING 4 (formerly D)
David Bercot, Let Me Die in Ireland: The True Story of Patrick (Scroll, 1999)
OLD TESTAMENT SURVEY
* Visit synagogue or listen to presentation by rabbi
* Learn the locations of 100 useful O.T. passages
1. Jacoby, A Quick Overview of the Bible (Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House, 2012) —chapters 1-15
2. Jacoby, Exodus: Night of Redemption (Spring, Texas: Illumination Publishing, 2016)—entire book
3. The entire OT, if you have not read it completely at least once in the period 2012-2016. Due 15 Sept 2017.
Extra Credit Reading
1. La Sor, William, Old Testament Survey (Eerdmans) — 6 points
2. Childs, Brevard, Introduction to the Old Testament as Scripture — 6 points 3. Tom Olbricht, He Loves Forever (Joplin, Missouri: College Press, 2000) – 4 points
4. Kaiser, Walter C. Jr., Mission in the Old Testament: Israel as a Light to the Nations — 3 points
5. The OT Apocrypha, in the translation of your choice — 3 points
6. Donin, Hayim J., Ed., To Be a Jew: A Guide To Jewish Observance In Contemporary Life (Revised ed.) — 3 points
OLD TESTAMENT INTERPRETATION
1. Re-read Fee & Stuart, How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth, chs. 5, 9-12. 2. Gordon Fee & Douglas Stuart, How to Read the Bible Book by Book (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2002), SKIM pp. 1-268 (the half dealing with the Old Testament only)
D. A. Carson, Exegetical Fallacies (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1996), only if not read for NTI—3 points
Philip Yancey, The Bible Jesus Read (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1999)—3 points
Jacoby, Night of Redemption: A Study of Exodus (audio series) – 3 points
CHURCH-BUILDING 5 (formerly E): BIBLICAL WORSHIP
A. W. Tozer, Whatever Happened to Worship? (Eastbourne, UK: Kingsway, 2005)
COUNSELING & PSYCHOLOGY
- Henry Cloud and John Townsend, Boundaries: When to Say Yes, When to Say No, To Take Control of Your Life (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1992)
- Peter Scazzero, The Emotionally Healthy Church (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2003)
- R. Paul Stevens and Phil Collins, The Equipping Pastor: A Systems Approach to Congregational Leadership (Bethesda: Alban Institute, 1993)
- Mike Shapiro and Mary Shapiro, Rejoice Always: A Handbook for Christians Facing Emotional Challenges (DPI, 2000)
Extra Credit—4 points each:
- Edwin H. Friedman, Generation to Generation: Family Process in Church and Synagogue (New York: The Guilford Press, 1985)
- Archibald Hart, Coping With Depression in the Ministry and the Other Helping Professions (Dallas: Word, 1984)
- Roberta M. Gilbert, Extraordinary Relationships: A New Way of Thinking about Human Interactions (Minneapolis: Chronimed Publishing, 1992)
- M. Scott Peck, People of the Lie: The Hope for Healing Human Evil. 1998.
- Gene Edwards, Exquisite Agony: Healing for Christians Who Have Been Hurt by Other Christians. Jacksonville, FL: The SeedSowers, 1995.
1. J. B. Lightfoot and J.R. Harmer (tr.) The Apostolic Fathers (2nd Edition)
2. David Berçot, Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up? (Scroll Publishing)
3. Tim Dowley, Introduction to the History of Christianity (Fortress Press) sect. I, II, V
4. Holloway and Foster, Renewing God's People (Abilene Christian University Press)
1. Richard T. Hughes, Reviving the Ancient Paths: History of the Churches of Christ in America (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1996)—5 points
2. Foster Stanback, Into All Nations: A History of the International Churches of Christ (IPI, 2005)—3 points
3. Tim Dowley, Introduction, rest of the book—7 points
4. Mark Noll, Turning Points (Downers Grove: Intervarsity Press, 1997)—5 points
5. Early Church History (DVD set, Bercot/Jacoby/Staten/Harris 2008)—5 points
6. Tom Jones, In Search of a City (DPI) — 5 points
* Visit a Hindu or Buddhist Temple
* Visit a Mosque
* Learn the locations of 40 useful world religions passages
Lion/Eerdmans’ Handbook to the World’s Religions (sections IV, V, VI)
Qur’an (selections: half the actual pages in your version of the Qur’an)
James Sire, The Universe Next Door
1. Eerdmans—whole book (including sections I, II, III)—10 points
2. The entire Qur’an—6 points
3. Answering Islam, Norman Geisler and Abdul Saleeb (Baker)—5 pts
4. Douglas Jacoby, Jesus & Islam–5 points
5. The Analects of Confucius—2 points
6. Ravi Zacharias, Jesus Among Other Gods—4 points
7. F. LaGard Smith, Who Is My Brother?: Facing a Crisis of Identity and Fellowship (Nashville: Cotswold Publishers, 1997), ISBN 0-9660060-0-3—5 points
8. ITS 2006, Who Is My Brother? (audio and DVD, 2007)—6 points
CHURCH-BUILDING 6 (formerly G)
D. Jacoby, Shining Like Stars (5th edition, 2010)
Gordon Ferguson, Prepared to Answer — 5 points
F. LaGard Smith, Who Is My Brother?: Facing a Crisis of Identity and Fellowship (Nashville: Cotswold Publishers, 1997), ISBN 0-9660060-0-3—5 points
ITS 2006, Who Is My Brother? (audio and DVD, 2007)—6 points
1. Douglas & Vicki Jacoby, Principle-Centered Parenting: Christian Parenting in a non-Christian World (IPI, 2017)
2. Sam & Geri Laing, Friends & Lovers: Marriage as God Designed It (DPI, 1996.
3. _____, Raising Awesome Kids in Troubled Times, Reloaded version (DPI, 2008)
Extra Credit—3 points each:
1. James C. Dobson—any one book on parenting
2. Sam Laing, The Five Senses of Romantic Love (DPI, 2008)
3. Sam & Geri Laing and Elizabeth Laing Thompson, The Wonder Years: Parenting Preteens & Teens (DPI, 2001)
4. John Rosemond—any one book on parenting
5. Elizabeth Laing Thompson, Glory Days: Real Life Answers for Teens (DPI, 1999)
6. Tedd Tripp, Shepherding a Child’s Heart (Wapwallopen, PA: Shepherd Press, 1995)
7. Harley, His Needs, Her Needs
CHURCH-BUILDING 7 (formerly H): PASTORAL MINISTRY
1. Alexander Strauch, Biblical Eldership: An Urgent Call to Restore Biblical Church Leadership (Littleton, Colorado: Lewis & Roth, 1995).
2. Rubel Shelly, Divorce and Remarriage: A Redemptive Theology (Abilene, Texas: Leafwood, 2007). ISBN: 978-089112-519-8 or David Instone Brewer, Divorce and Remarriage in the Bible and in the Church.
1. Alexander Strauch, The New Testament Deacon: Minister of Mercy (Colorado Springs: Lewis & Roth, 1992). — 3 points
2. Ronald Sawhill, Eldership requirements paper for discussion, available at http://www.douglasjacoby.com/wp-content/uploads/EldersQualifications.pdf
3. Douglas Jacoby, New Testament Leadership (audio series) — 2 points
4. Ron Clark, Emerging Elders (Abilene, Texas: Leafwood, 2008). ISBN: 0891125698
N.T. INTEPRETATION OF HEBREWS
Everyone’s Guide to Hebrews by Neil R. Lightfoot
Bruce, F.F. The Epistle to the Hebrews, Revised edition. New International Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1990.
Wright, N.T., Hebrews for Everyone, Westminster John Knox Press; 2nd edition, 2004
Fudge, Edward. Our Man In Heaven. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1973. (Available on- line at http://www.edwardfudge.com/written/omihtext.html)
CHRIST & CULTURE
The Kingdom of God, Volume 1 by Tom A. Jones and Steve D. Brown
The Kingdom of God, Volume 2 by Tom A. Jones and Steve D. Brown
Caring Beyond the Margins: What Every Christian Needs to Know About Homosexuality by Guy Hammond
O.T. INTERPRETATION — AMOS
The Book of Amos (in at least 2 biblical translations/versions)
Amos, by Fred Wood (CrossBooks, June 5, 2009)
Extra Credit (5 points):
The Prophet: Amos, by Francine Rivers (Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., July 24, 2006)